The Daily 5, Second Edition retains the core literacy components that made the first edition one of the most widely read books in education and enhances these practices based on years of further experience in classrooms and compelling new brain research. The Daily 5 provides a way for any teacher to structure literacy (and now maths) time to increase student independence and allow for individualised attention in small groups and one-on-one.
Teachers and schools implementing the Daily 5 will do the following:
The Daily 5
- Spend less time on classroom management and more time teaching;
- Help students develop independence, stamina and accountability;
- Provide students with abundant time for practicing reading, writing and maths;
- Increase the time teachers spend with students one-on-one and in small groups;
- Improve school-wide achievement and success in literacy and maths.
, Second Edition gives teachers everything they need to launch and sustain the Daily 5, including materials and setup, model behaviours, detailed lesson plans, specific tips for implementing each component and solutions to common challenges. By following this simple and proven structure, teachers can move from a harried classroom toward one that hums with productive and engaged learners.