Help your Year 4 - 5 students learn to make healthy food choices, appreciate the importance of daily exercise and develop healthy habits they will maintain throughout their lives. Students will learn how food grows, where it comes from, and what vitamins and nutrients are in various fruits and vegetables. They will learn how to develop and maintain physical fitness and wellbeing with activities such as "The World Around You" and "Healthy Lifestyles". Encourage them to journal about nutrition, fitness and health to reinforce what they have learned. Healthy Habits for Healthy Kids, Years 4 - 5 also has a journal resource available to download at go.hbe.com.au alongside some additional activities. A classroom poster is also available to purchase.
Points of Interest:
- The book has been adapted to include the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education expectations for Years 4 - 5.
- Five food groups are explored: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and cereals, protein and dairy.
- Students learn about kilojoules, carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals, and the roles nutrients play in overall health.
- Classroom-appropriate exercises are suggested.
- Additional health concepts include food safety, germ prevention and dental care.
- The Australian Curriculum supports a whole-child approach to education - one that ensures that each student is healthy, safe, engaged, supported and challenged in their learning. This series also supports a whole-child approach to education and can be used to support such health and nutrition policies as the NSW Department of Education Nutrition in Schools Policy.